You might have heard Dental veneers or porcelain veneers term at your dentist’s office when explaining about a cosmetic treatment. It is normal if you don’t understand the term but it is very important to know all the details related to it before having any treatment.
Dental veneers or porcelain veneers are very thin and costume made shells for teeth designed and used to improve your teeth appearance and make it more beautiful by covering the surface of the tooth. These shells (veneers) are confined to the front of the tooth changing their colours, size, or even length.
When do I need to use dental veneers?
Dental veneers are a very good option when you want to improve your smile appearance because they look like natural teeth. In addition, dental veneers can be used as a solution for several dental issues and problems.
- for teeth that can’t be cleaned and whitened by bleaching.
- in cases of worn or chipped teeth.
- in case of large gaps between the teeth, especially the teeth in the front (front teeth).
How many types of veneers are available?
Dental Veneers can be made of resin materials or porcelain materials
Porcelain dental veneers are thin shells custom made to be placed on the tooth. The benefits of porcelain dental veneers are:
- strong and last for a long time/
- they look like a natural tooth which presents the smile in its normal beautiful appearance.
- it requires less enamel to be removed compared to dental crowns
- they do not stain easily.
While the resin dental veneers are made of tooth coloured filling materials to be bounded to the tooth and the benefits of them are:
- also less enamel required to be removed compared to dental crowns
- do not require many dental visits as porcelain veneers do, and can be done with one dental visit.
- they are easy to fix.
In general, porcelain dental veneers are more expensive than resin veneers because porcelain veneers are more stronger and less likely to get damaged and their colour stays for a long time. On the other hand, resin veneers are more flexible and easier to change or fix.
Steps to put veneers
- First, the dentist needs to prepare the tooth by removing the enamel on top and side of the tooth to make room for the veneers when it’s going to be placed.
- Second, the dentist should take an impression of your prepared teeth and also should select the colour that best matches your smile and present it beautifully.
- The dentist then will send the impression to the dental lab to make your veneers according to the impression, meanwhile the dentist will place temporary veneers because the permanent ones will take a few days to be made.
- Once the permanent veneers are made, the dentist will place them carefully on your teeth and your smile will look nice and clean. Still, you might need some extra visits for any changes in the future if required.
- just like the first step in porcelain veneers, the dentist should remove enamel from your teeth and its sides.
- the dentist then will sculpt the resin veneers very carefully to match your teeth size and shapes.
- the dentist then will use a special light to harden the resin and make it stick to your teeth.
- the veneers are placed and look soft, smooth, and clean which will present a very beautiful smile.
What you should take in consideration before getting the dental veneers:
- it is very important that your teeth and gums are clean and healthy otherwise it may cause some problems during the process. Thus, you may need some treatment before getting the veneers.
- in some cases like people who grinch, veneers are not a good choice to be used because the veneers then might break faster. Thus, it is very important to consult your dentist before getting the veneers he knows more about your medical history.
- veneers do not last for life, it is very possible that your veneers may come loose, in this case getting new veneers is better.
- make sure to discuss all the details with your dentist before getting any veneer because it might not be the best option for you, it differs according to the medical history.
At the end, always remember that dental veneers are not as strong as your natural teeth so avoid biting nails or biting hard materials, also it might take a few days to get used to the feeling of veneers on your teeth and never ever forget to take care of your teeth and gums by cleaning and brushing them twice a day.
If you are searching for a location that offers high-quality and affordable dental services, you may like Istanbul. Istanbul offers expert dentists with thousands of satisfied patient reviews and also it is very popular location to discover during your dental treatment.